Why The Reading Ranch?
How is Reading Ranch different?
- Founded by Dr. Kim Southwell, Ph.D.Reading Education (Language & Literacy)
- Exclusive programs developed and copyrighted by Dr. Southwell
- Research-based instruction and Multisensory Teaching Approach
- Not worksheet or random, drill/kill based
- Interactive learning environment and small classes of 2-3 students
- Phonetic based curriculum (systematic instruction)
- Fluency built using Literature based instruction
- Provide pre/mid-point and post assessments
- No contracts, afterschool program is month-to-month
- Summer Camps, Christmas Literacy Camps
- On-Site library with home literacy program including take home readers!
How are Reading Ranch teachers trained?
- Our reading tutors/teachers are trained to provide Reading Ranch lessons delivering interactive lessons using a multi-sensory teaching approach (i.e., visual, auditory, tactile, etc.)
- Teacher training (professional development) is required. Dr. Southwell implements the training program discussing theory, and curriculum development. Teacher/student role-play is modeled and rehearsed perfecting teaching performance while collaborating in current literacy research.
- Teaching Standards: Reading Ranch tutor/teachers are required to successfully implement only Reading Ranch curriculum using an interactive approach to teaching while engaging students in learning.
The purpose of Reading Ranch is to provide children with enrichment and/or intervention in reading and writing while giving students the confidence and independence to be successful in literacy.
- Pre-Emergent Reading Program (Preschool) – 3 year old
- Early Emergent Reading: (PreK) – 4 year old
- Early Reading: (Jr. Kinder) – 5 year old
- Reading (Kinder): Language Enrichment (Kindergarten)
- Reading I: Language Enrichment (1st Graders)
- Reading II: Language Enrichment (2nd Graders)
- Dyslexia ‘Tendencies’ Program (K-2)
- Reading Comprehension with Phonics Intervention Review
- Writing Lab: Handwriting-Strokes & Penmanship
- Writing Lab: Writer’s Workshop
Parent Training/Parent Education
- Parental communication with weekly updates
- Reading/Writing blogs
- On-going parental literacy updates of reading/writing instruction
- Literacy workshops allowing parents to partner in the literacy process