Adult /Child Interactive Reading Tutoring Strategies
Reading Ranch provides reading tutoring in the Frisco and Plano Texas areas. We encourage all parents to become a supporter in their child’s early reading development. Below you will find a helpful guide when reading aloud with your child at home:
(Pre-K & Kindergarten)
Children Book Selection
- Make sure that you read books that your child can understand.
- Read your child’s favorite books with him or her over and over to help your child recognize and words.
- Choose books that show your child’s interests
Maintaining Physical Proximity
- Encourage your child to sit on your lap
- Make sure your child is close to you
- Make sure the book becomes the child focal’s point
Promoting Interactive Reading and Supporting Comprehension
- Give your child compliments and say when something is done well
- Be sure that your child feels part of the reading (e.g., child should be able to touch/hold the book, ask if child would like to turn the pages).
- Be sure to point pictures, words, or letters
- Give the characters in the book different voices
- Use words you are sure your child knows as you talk and read through the book
Asking and Answering Questions
- Ask your child about things he or she may recognize
- Be sure to stop and listen before answering when your child does ask you a question