Why The Reading Ranch?
At The Reading Ranch Literacy and Tutorial Centers, we proudly offer innovative and exclusive literacy programs that make learning reading, writing, comprehension, and spelling fun. Our curriculum is based on sound research conducted by our founder Dr. Southwell during her Doctoral studies and features multi-sensory teaching techniques such as explicit systematic phonics for a highly interactive teacher/student experience. Let us help your family unlock the power of language through engaging instruction! We make reading and writing FUN.
We focus ONLY on literacy (reading, writing, comprehension, spelling, critical analysis). We don’t do Math, nor Science, nor test preps. We focus only on PreK-6th Grade Literacy.
Our focus provides better grades and understanding for your child: for reading, comprehension, and writing. We make reading and writing FUN and it shows in the improvements you will see in your child.
How is Reading Ranch different?
- Founded by Dr. Kim Southwell, Ph.D.Reading Education (Language & Literacy)
- Exclusive programs developed and copyrighted by Dr. Southwell
- Research-based instruction and Multisensory Teaching Approach
- Not worksheet or random, drill/kill based
- Interactive learning environment and small classes of 2-3 students
- Explicit systematic phonics based curriculum
- Fluency built using Literature based instruction
- Provide pre/mid-point and post assessments
- No contracts, afterschool program is month-to-month
- Summer Camps
- On-Site library with home literacy program including take home readers!
How are Reading Ranch teachers trained?
- Our reading tutors/teachers are trained to provide Reading Ranch lessons delivering interactive lessons using a multi-sensory teaching approach (i.e., visual, auditory, tactile, etc.)
- Teacher training (professional development) is required. Dr. Southwell implements the training program discussing theory, and curriculum development. Teacher/student role-play is modeled and rehearsed perfecting teaching performance while collaborating in current literacy research.
- Teaching Standards: Reading Ranch tutor/teachers are required to successfully implement only Reading Ranch curriculum using an interactive approach to teaching while engaging students in learning.
The purpose of Reading Ranch is to provide children with enrichment and/or intervention in reading and writing while giving students the confidence and independence to be successful in literacy.
- Pre-Emergent Reading Program
- Early Emergent Reading
- Early Reading
- Reading Language Enrichment
- Reading I: Language Enrichment
- Reading II: Language Enrichment
- Dyslexia ‘Tendencies’ Program
- Reading Comprehension with Phonics Intervention Review
- Writing Lab: Handwriting-Strokes & Penmanship
- Writing Lab: Writer’s Workshop
Parent Training/Parent Education
- Parental communication with weekly updates
- Reading/Writing blogs
- On-going parental literacy updates of reading/writing instruction
- Literacy workshops allowing parents to partner in the literacy process