A Partnership With Parents, A Focus On LiteracyAppears in Life in Castle Hills Magazine
So you’ve made the decision to work with a private tutor so that your child has the advantage of year-round literacy support, but how do you know which teacher or learning center is the best fit? While there are plenty of options to choose from, your search starts and ends with The Reading Ranch®.
And why is that? Well, our staff is more than just teachers or tutors – they are literacy specialists.
We can say that with absolute confidence for two reasons:
1. Most tutors cover a variety of subjects. The Reading Ranch specializes in providing ONLY reading, phonics, fluency, spelling, vocabulary, and comprehension enrichment for kids in Pre-K through sixth grade.
2. Our teaching standards are second to none.
Reading Ranch Tutorial Center was founded by Dr. Kim Southwell, who has a Ph.D. in Reading Education. Her exclusive programs were developed and copyrighted specifically for our centers, which means she doesn’t hire just anyone.
Here are just a few of the staff standards
- Our tutors and teachers are trained to provide Reading Ranch lessons delivering interactive lessons using a multi-sensory teaching approach (i.e., visual, auditory, tactile, etc.).
- Continued professional development is required. Dr. Southwell implements the training program discussing theory and curriculum development. Teacher-student role play is modeled and rehearsed, perfecting teaching performance while collaborating in current literacy research.
- Reading Ranch tutors are required to successfully implement only Reading Ranch curriculum using an interactive approach to teaching while engaging students in learning.
- Our tutors/teachers take part in literacy workshops to allow parents to partner in the literacy process.
- Our tutors will have the willingness to provide parental communication with weekly updates.
The purpose of the Reading Ranch is to provide children with enrichment and intervention in reading and writing while giving students the confidence and independence to be successful in literacy. At the heart of that is our literacy specialists.
What is literacy?
Literacy is more than just the ability to read and write. It is the cornerstone of all learning. Our expansive approach covers a number of interwoven skills, and our staff is extremely hands-on and focused on creating dynamic sessions where every child is eager to be engaged and part of the learning process. We focus on everything from shared reading time to oral language, print awareness, letter recognition, rhyme time, wordplay, and advanced concepts like blending sounds to form words, vowels and consonants, and high-frequency word recognition.
Bottom line: the goal of every teacher in our program is to make reading and writing fun. That’s what it’s supposed to be!
Call The Reading Ranch Today!
The truth is, we are all in this together. The Reading Ranch® has 10 locations in the DFW area and has recently added an online VLP program for people across the county! For more information, visit www.readingranch.com or call one of our locations directly.